YOu Didn’t File a Tax Return — Notice CP59

You Didn’t File a Tax Return – Notice CP59

The IRS sends Notice CP59 when you fail to file your tax return. If you were required to file and you did not file your tax return, you might receive this notice. The IRS also charges a penalty for failure-to-file. Contact RMS Tax Consulting at (520) 448-3531 and speak with Enrolled Agent Richard Schickel for a free consultation and assistance in responding to the IRS and filing your tax return(s).

How to Respond to Notice CP59

Notice CP59 includes the tax year in question, the notice date, your social security number, any taxes due, and the IRS contact number. When you receive Notice CP59, you need to respond by:

  • filing your personal tax return immediately, or
  • explaining to the IRS why you don’t need to file, are filing late, or that you have already filed.

If you disagree with the notice or have already filed your return, you can call the toll free number located on the top right corner of the notice or you can use the notice’s response form to communicate with the IRS. If you agree with the notice, you will need to pay the full amount listed on your notice, including any penalties or interest, to the IRS at the address on the notice.

If you filed your return before you received the notice, you don’t need to act if it was within the last eight weeks. If it has been eight weeks or more, you can complete and mail the response form, attaching a copy of your return to it.

What Happens If You Don’t File Your Return

If you don’t file your return after receiving Notice CP59, the IRS may proceed with collection action. The IRS can collect back taxes by:

  • initiating a tax lien,
  • initiating a levy, or
  • offsetting your tax refund.

As part of its collection process, the IRS can seize property, wages, bank accounts, social security benefits, and retirement income. The IRS will continue to send notices, encouraging you to resolve your tax issue to prevent further collection efforts.

Back Taxes Resolution Options

If you are unable to pay your back taxes in a single payment, you can request an Installment Agreement. Under an Installment Agreement, you can pay your back taxes in fixed monthly payments over several months or even years.

Another resolution is an Offer in Compromise. If you are financially incapable of payment of the full debt amount, this plan allows for a reduction in your tax debt.

You can research other ways to resolve tax return issues by looking up one or more of the titles listed below; or, you can contact RMS Tax Consulting at (520) 448-3531 and speak with Enrolled Agent Richard Schickel for a free consultation.

  • IRS Tax Debt Solutions
  • Payment Plans
  • Tax Debt Forgiveness
  • Tax Problems
  • Being Prepared for Taxes
  • DIY vs. Hire Tax Professionals
  • IRS Tax Issues
  • State Tax Issues
  • Offer in Compromise
  • Client Testimonials
    • How much tax debt do you have?
    • Chat


  • Tax Problems
  • Tax Solutions
  • Resources
  • About Us
  • Blogs

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *